Our Borough is going to grow and change over the next few years, and we know that this needs to work for those who live here. We want development in Ealing to enhance its character, conserve its future and cultivate a great place where people want to live, work and enjoy.
Our Borough is so much more than a commuter town where people catch the train to their office in Zone 1, and it’s so important that decisions made about how Ealing develops reflect this.
At the same time, we want to grow our local economy and continue to create a space where good businesses can thrive. The growth that we want to see in Ealing must be inclusive and sustainable, that will ultimately make Ealing an even better place to live and work. We want growth that delivers good, safe and genuinely affordable homes, draws out the best of Ealing’s seven towns and cultivates good businesses that pay decent living incomes.
Good growth is a conversation. It doesn’t leave residents behind; it doesn’t compromise the character of our communities and it ultimately should make Ealing even better. We know that If local residents are involved in these conversations, we can together create an Ealing that works for everyone.
Our pledges to you are about creating the Ealing we want to see: one that puts residents in the driving seat of growth. Between the development of our new Local Plan, our pledge to develop a community-led social regeneration charter and our pledge to contain the spread of tall buildings, we want you to help shape the future of your community.
WE PLEDGE TO
- Launch a new tax on developers, and work toward raising at least £12m per year for new infrastructure, education, health, and community facilities.
- Set out a new Community-led Regeneration Charter that sets out clear rights for residents to shape and control the decisions being taken in their communities on housing and employment.
- Work even harder to attract new businesses, creative industries, and turbocharge the STEM, digital and food science sectors that are already working hard to make and create across the Borough.
- Deliver ‘Shaping Ealing’ – our new Local Plan to give residents and businesses confidence that our borough can change for the better in the coming decades.
- Put good design and heritage at the heart of how we enhance our Borough, with an expanded Design Review Panel and expand the membership of Community Review Panels to better reflect our seven towns
- Contain the spread of tall-buildings by getting tough with developers who bring forward schemes that don’t fit in with the neighbourhood, and encourage greener buildings and greater levels of open green space and biodiversity .
- Campaign to scrap VAT on repair and reuse of existing buildings, institute a ‘retrofit-first’ principle for council buildings and deliver zero-carbon development as standard whilst ensuring any carbon offset payments that do occur are invested locally to make our Borough greener.
- Fight any attempt by the Tory government to remove the right of local residents to object to developments in local communities, or rip up the planning rules to benefit their Party donors.
- Deliver greater transparency in planning, with a crack down on lobbying, gifts and hospitality with new rules to prevent conflicts of interest in planning.
“Our seven towns continue to evolve as pressure for new jobs and homes in a city as big as London continues to grow. We will always put the needs of our residents first. Cllr Shital Manro - Cabinet Member for Good Growth